the how to
1) pre-heat oven to 150°C (300°F/Gas mark 2).
2) grease and flour two baking sheets - i just use parchment paper.
3) mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
4) whisk the eggs and vanilla essence together then stir into the dry ingredients and then add almonds.
5) the dough WILL BE sticky. don't worry.
6) divide the dough between the baking sheets and shape into two flat loaves about 25cm (10in) long and 5cm (2in) wide.
7) bake for 35-40 minutes until pale golden brown. remove from oven onto a chopping board and immediately slice into thin pieces about 1cm (½ in) wide.
8) lay the slices back onto the baking sheets and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. once done, turn over each slice and cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes, or until the slices are golden brown.
9) remove from oven and allow to cool.
10) store in an airtight container. the biscottis will keep for a couple of weeks...if not devoured immediately. hehehe...
there are also variations for this recipe.
a) you can make lemon & pistachio biscotti, by substituting the vanilla essence with the grated zest of a lemon (2 to 3 teaspoons) and pistachios for the almonds. - have yet to try.
b) chocolate chip & raisin biscotti - with the basic dough, substitute the almonds with 75g (3 oz) raisins and 75g (3 oz) plain chocolate chips. - tried this once, but not a favorite.
c) fig & fennel biscotti - same thing, prepare the basic dough and substitute half the almonds with 75g (3 oz) chopped dried figs and the vanilla essence with 2 tsp of fennel seeds. - also haven't tried.
well? anyone game to try any of the variations? awww...come on! take the challenge. yes?
recipe source: 500 cookies by philippa vanstone