okay, if you like lemons and crunchy cookies, then this is the one for you. i particularly like the lemony taste the cookies have, it's somewhat refreshing, because i usually associate cookies with something chocolatey and sweet...but this one, has a very mild sugar taste nothing too overpowering.
will i make it again? good question, hmmm...i don't think so. why? mainly because the dough is a little bit of a challenge to handle. as you know polenta is really, really gooey, like mush and even after refrigerating the dough for 24 hours, you are still left with sticky fingers. in the end, i had to fill the dough into a piping bag, pipe it into a straight line before making the shape. lots of work = me no like. heheheh...
but i might do it again for the taste...and let the robot handle all the difficult bits. hehehe...or i'll try to figure out on how to make it easier. well, you guys try it and lemme know kay?
here's the recipe.
115g (4 oz) unsalted butter
100g (3½ oz) icing sugar
2 egg yolks
grated zest of 1 lemon (2 to 3 tsp)
2 tsp vanilla essence
150g (5 oz) plain flour
pinch of baking powder
50g (2 oz) finely ground polenta/cornmeal
the how to:
1) pre-heat oven to 160°C (325°F/Gas Mark 3).
2) grease two baking sheets.
3) beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4) add egg yolks, lemon zest and vanilla essence.
5) in a separate bowl, sift flour and baking powder together and mix in the polenta, add to the butter mixture and mix to a smooth dough.
6) roll the dough into 1cm (½in) thick lengths and cut into 10cm (4in) pieces. *alaaaaa...ni yang tak syok ni!!!* shape them into crescents and space them 5cm (2in) apart on the baking sheets.**
7) bake for 15 minutes until pale in color.
8) cool on wire racks.
**because it was too gooey, i decided to refrigerate the dough for 24 hours. tu pun tak boleh gak... :-s
recipe source: 500 cookies by philippa vanstone