hell-o!! raya cookies project? really??? i know, this is a VERY ambitious project i'm about to embark on...for all you know, after the 2nd recipe, i would've already given up! haha! but, let's hope not. because we all LOVE cookies, right? what better timing than to have entries about baking cookies now, with ramadhan being a month away and all.
okay, i'm sharing this recipe with you guys because i made this for hari raya last year and it was a hit! it's quite easy to make and since i like things to be super easy, i even skipped the 'shape dough in a log of about 4cm thick and wrap in foil and refrigerate for two hours' bit. to be fair, i tried. but the dough stuck to the foil and let's face it, with soft cookie dough, it aint easy getting them to co-operate and let them be shaped into a log. i tell you. seriously! so, i skipped that part. still, it's up to you. hehehe...
here's the recipe.
225g (8oz) unsalted butter*
150g (5oz) caster sugar
1½ tsp vanilla essence¼ tsp salt
300g (10oz) plain flour
the how to:
1) pre-heat your oven to 175°C (350°F/Gas Mark 4).
2) beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy, but not fluffy.
3) add the salt and flour and mix to a smooth paste.
4) shape the dough into a log about 4cm (1½ in) thick, wrap in foil and refrigerate for two hours until the dough is firm. ***i skipped this part, la la la la laaaa***
5) when ready to bake the cookies, cut the log into 6mm (¼ in) thick slices. ***too much numbers!! ohhhhh my headddd...my heaaadddd!!*** since i skipped (4), what i did was to stuff the dough in my mum's vintage (read: my years old...) SAWA cookie press and immediately start to make them.
6) place the slices 4cm (1½in) apart on a non-stick baking sheet or use parchment paper on a standard baking sheet.
7) bake for 12 to 14 minutes.
8) cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
*use good quality butter because for this one, it's ALL about the butter.
have fun making these babies, guys!
come back okay?
recipe source: 500 cookies by philippa vanstone
SAWA Cookie Press image taken from : www.lulushop.co.za **thank you lulushop!!**