spanish mackerel cooked in tamarind juice.
today, we shall go to Negeri Sembilan. A state located in the western coast of the peninsular Malaysia. Known for its very, very spicy dishes using bird's eye chillies. Podeh! i took the recipe from this book i bought a while ago...
tastewise it is waaaay better than a similar dish i blogged about some time ago... this one has a more sourish taste...something that i am craving for these days.
ready for the recipe? wait...you want to see a photo of this dish? here it is: :-)
okay, now for the recipe:
spanish mackerel, how ever many you desire
3 shallots, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1" ginger, sliced thinly also
10 red bird's eye chilli, i used 3 only (i know, i sissy...hehehe)
5 green bird's eye chilli, i used 3 also...these two you need to slice
1 big onion, cut into circles
salt to taste
oil for frying
1 cup of tamarind juice
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tomato, cut into 4 - i made mine into 6...saja je...
the how to:
1) coat the fish with some turmeric powder and salt, fry till cooked and golden brown.
2) set the fish aside, remove most of the frying oil and leave some so that we can use it to saute (a)
3) saute (a) till they are all soft and shiny.
4) add in the tamarind juice, tomatoes and the turmeric powder.
5) once the gravy starts to boil, put in the fish, stir it for a bit and heat off.
6) you can enjoy this with hot rice. YUM!!
that's it for today folks. please try the recipe and lemme know okay? ta!