once again, i took this recipe from this book, 1 hari 1 resipi. i've never attempted to cook fish head curry before, mainly because i don't think i'll ever come close to my mum's version. but since this is the try-everything-once year, i thought, why not. so, here's my fish head curry, using chef hanieliza's recipe.
what?? can't hear you...where's the fish head?? tuuuu...okay, okay fine, the recipe calls for jenahak or tenggiri fish head, but since i don't have those and plus it's just for the two of us, i used the head of ikan nyoknyok for the curry. :-p
ready for the recipe?
head of tenggiri or jenahak, i used ikan nyoknyok
5 tbs fish curry powder, mixed with some water
2 round aubergine, i didn't have any
3 green chillies, i didn't use
2 tomatoes, cut into 4
1 cup tamarind juice
1 cup coconut milk, i used M&S UHT coconut milk
salt to taste
(b) to saute
5 onions, pound or sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, pound or sliced thinly
1 inch ginger, pound or sliced thinly
1 tsp of mixed spices
some curry leaves, i don't have :-(
the how to:
1) heat oil in wok and saute (b) till fragrant.
2) add in the curry powder that has been mixed with water, and saute till it's cooked.
3) next, in goes the tamarind juice and the coconut milk. let it simmer till it starts to boil.
4) put in the fish head and aubergine. add in a little bit of water so that the coconut milk will not be too thick.
5) reduce heat and let it simmer. once it starts to boil, add in the tomatoes and salt. let it simmer a little bit more and take it off the heat.
6) ready to serve.
now for the taste, well, the taste is quite good, although it's the mamak version that we're used to, but still edible. haha!
trylah and lemme know okay?
recipe source: 1 hari 1 resipi by chef hanieliza