Tuesday, November 05, 2013

very vanilla eggless cupcake

 
o-kaaaayyy...before anyone says anything about the frosting...lemme just tell you that I am not too happy at how it turned out to be...both on the cupcake and also the color. on the cupcake, swirled like that...it looked... *sigh* like...something...that...should...not...be...on a cupcake. hahahahaha!! forgive me and my limited frosting abilities. hahahahaha!!
 
good thing about this cupcake is that...it is SO tasty that i will be baking these again for class on Saturday. but this time, i will frost it with vanilla frosting...or...maybe tint it a bit...maybe.  well, what happened was, I made these yesterday and...yesterday I got a watsapp informing me that there would be no class today (Tuesday)...so i was left with 30 odd cupcakes. what's a girl to do? I did what any girl would do. i distributed them all over the place. haaaa... macam pandai je.
 
but, worry not, come saturday i will be bringing these for class...only with a different frosting so that it will not look as weird as the one on top. hehehahaha!!
 
i googled for an eggless recipe and found this one here.   it looked simple enough so i decided to give it a go. and true to the blog, these turned out wonderful!! not only was it easy to prepare and bake...it is delicious! this could very well be my go-to recipe when I need something simple and yet delicious to bake.
 
okay, as usual, I have converted all the ingredients into metric measurement but should you want to use the imperial measurement, please click here.
 
ready? let's go!!!
 
you will need:
219g all purpose flour
225g sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt
1 cup milk*
½ cup canola oil
2 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

for the vanilla frosting:
114g butter
188g icing sugar
½ tsp vanilla
1-3 tbsp milk*

I used the chocolate frosting that I googled and led me here.

*and again, I didn't go all vegan with this, I only went eggless, but if you want to go all vegan, go on over here.

the how to:
for the cupcakes,
1)  preheat the oven to 175°C, and line your pan with cupcake liners.

2)  in a bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients. I just used a fork to fork it. :-p

3)  in another bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients. okay, for this one, I had to use a whisk.

4)  pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk till just combined.
do.
not.
over mix. capische??? (tiba2 jadi gangster pulak)

5)  fill your cupcake liners and bake for 8-10 minutes.

for the vanilla frosting:
1)  using your mixer, beat the butter till light and fluffy

2)  reduce speed and slowly add your icing sugar (slowwwly...unless if you want to be powdered with sugar... :-p) vanilla, and the milk, one tablespoon at a time until the frosting reaches the consistency that you want.

3)  beat on high for about 2 minutes, till the frosting is really fluffy.**

**I will give this a go for Saturday's cuppies. tulah..sapa suruh pandai-pandai sangat cari kat tempat lain.

for me, the cupcake is super fantastic, super moist and most importantly, super easy to make and bake. I will definitely bake these again.

as for the frosting, the chocolate frosting that I used...I didn't particularly like how it turned out. the color was a bit off. I followed the instruction to a T...it says that sans liquid (in the form of milk) you should be able to beat the frosting till fluffy...but...what happened to mine was, without any form of liquid, except for that 1 tsp of vanilla, the whole mixture became almost flour-like. so, in the end, I ended up adding about 8 teaspoons of milk. :-( so...I don't think I will be attempting this frosting again. didn't like the texture, didn't like the color. sorry.

if you guys have your own favorite frosting, you guys can just go on ahead and use that. as for me, I will try the frosting that came with this recipe.

there. what a loooong entry.

I shall now leave you guys, to go and gather the ingredients for these really nice vanilla cupcakes. let me know how yours turned out to be okay?

luck luck!!

recipe for the cupcakes adapted from http://whippedbaking.com/ thank you!!
recipe for the chocolate frosting taken from http://www.averiecooks.com/ thank you!!








No comments: